Thursday, July 24, 2008

Introduction

Over the past few months, a couple of people have suggested that I write a Blog. Initially, I was a little dubious. I imagine that this limitless digital universe is starting to look like a virtual landfill, stuffed with personal trash: my adventures grouting the bathtub, my favorite flavor of pudding (lemon), and my solution to the war in Iraq (leave). However, these former students said that they would be interested in what I’ve got to say, which is enough of a compliment that I thought I’d give Blogging a try.

A little background would be appropriate, I guess. I am a Professor in the Department of Communications and Journalism at Webster University, St. Louis, Missouri. My field of interest is called media literacy, which is defined as a critical thinking skill that is applied to the source of most of our information—the channels of mass communication. Media literacy is to provide individuals with strategies to decipher media messages. Media literacy, then, focuses on process rather than any pre-designed outcome, empowering individuals to reach their own conclusions.

As I tell my students, there is nothing wrong with watching Fox news, so long as you know what it is and you know what it isn’t. (I should mention that my own ideology is to the left of center). I’m going to approach this Blog as a running commentary on events from a media literacy point of view. The views I present will be my own, as opposed to representing Webster University.

1 comment:

Jeana Rock said...

I'm interested in following your blog since I am in a graduate program in Media Education at BYU and have just finished reading your textbook and found it so useful that I have given my high school seniors a couple of chapters to read.

Welcome to the digital world, you digital immigrant (Thanks, Marc Prensky, for that term)!